Previous Section
Offers and Negotiations
Next Section
Further Reading
Common questions covered here
What kinds of documents should I expect to sign as part of my equity compensation package?
What do stock plan and stock option agreements look like?
What does an exercise agreement cover?
What tax documents will my company provide if I exercise stock option?
What does a standard employee innovations agreement stipulate?

Documents and Agreements8 links

This section covers a few kinds of documents you’re likely to see as you negotiate a job offer and sign on to a company. It’s not exhaustive, as titles and details vary.

  • When you are considering your offer, make sure you have all of the documents you need from the company:

    • Your offer letter, which will detail salary, benefits, and equity compensation.
    • An Employee Innovations Agreement, Proprietary Information and Inventions Assignment Agreement, or similar, concerning intellectual property.
  • If you have equity compensation, at some point—possibly weeks or months after you’ve joined—you should get a Summary of Stock Grant, Notice of Stock Option Grant, or similar document, detailing your grant of stock or options, along with all details such as number of shares, type of options, grant date, vesting commencement date, and vesting schedule. It will come with several other documents, which may be exhibits to that agreement:

  • If you are exercising your options, you should also see paperwork to assist with that purchase:

  • End of year tax documents

    • You should receive a form 3921 or 3922 from your company if you exercised ISO options during the year.
You’re reading an excerpt from a Holloway Guide.
The Holloway Guide to Equity Compensation
Joshua Levy, Joe Wallin, and over 35 contributors
Over 3 hours and 300 linked resources
Stock options, RSUs, job offers, and taxes—a detailed reference, including hundreds of resources, explained from the ground up and made to be improved over time.